The South Jersey Astronomy Club hosts public skywatches on the recreation field at Belleplain State Forest or on the front field of the EHT Public Library throughout the year. Skywatch details are posted on our home index page. Skywatches usually begins about 7:30PM, and admission is free! For Belleplain State Forest, just follow the signs to the public parking lot (free) and then walk the short distance on to the observing field. For EHT Publc Library please park in the library's parking lot, observing will be on the side of the library.
Telescopes will be set up to give a beautiful view of the night sky!
Please dress appropriately!!! Only RED flashlights are allowed on the field.
Rain or cloudy conditions on Friday night will move the Skywatch to Saturday night. Bad weather on that night, will cancel the event. Any changes or cancellations will be announced on the home index page and also announced using our Yahoo SJAC Announce email list and on our Facebook page. Additional event and Park information is available by contacting the Belleplain State Forest Ranger Station at 609-861-2404.
You may also sign up to receive text alerts to your cell phone for any event cancellations!
Click Here to Join South Jersey Astronomy Club text alerts on RainedOut
For customer support contact email@example.com or 800-230-1933. Msg & data rates may apply. Privacy Statement
TIPS FOR THE SKYWATCH...
- Dress appropriately. Temperatures drop after sunset, so be sure to wear appropriate clothing. Bring a jacket, hat and wear good shoes. A snack and hot drinks can also help.
- Bring a flashlight with a red filter -- even cellophane will do -- to help you find the way and still retain your vision in the dark. Please avoid shining your light out onto the field when you enter; instead, kindly point the beam down and slightly in front of you. This is a courtesy to others who are on the field.
- We hope to have a club information table set up with literature and other items. Visit the table to learn more about astronomy and the South Jersey Astronomy Club.
- Telescopes will be set up to view planets and other objects. Enjoy the views, and feel free to ask questions.
- You can appreciate the night sky using just your naked eye, or a pair of binoculars. If you already have a telescope, feel free to bring it along. We suggest that you arrive early, though, so that you have adequate time to set up.
- Belleplain is a "camp in, camp out" facility. If you bring anything which can become litter such as paper or plastics cups or wrappers, please take them out of the forest with you.
- A thermos of coffee, maybe a folding lawn chair... and you're set for the evening!
Click Here for directions to our observing site. This event is open to all, and there's plenty of free parking!